Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 27, 2010

DIY Chalk Paint and A "New" Stool

I have been so excited to share a few of my smaller projects with you. I have been working on them along with my kitchen project.

Chalkboard

I had a mirror that I didn't really like, it had a wood frame (which I failed to get a picture of). First of all I sanded it down, then I primed and painted it the same color as my kitchen cabinets.

Then I changed my mind about the color, so I put on a few coats of black instead. Here is coat one.


Here is coat 3, the last coat. I like this a lot better!

Then I peeled off the tape, and applied 3 coats of chalkboard paint to the mirror. This was the very first time that I worked with chalkboard paint. I used my small roller, with the roller being for ultra smooth surfaces. It went on really well.

I was so glad that there were no roller lines showing once it dried!


I have read that you should coat the whole surface with chalk before you write on the board, then rub it off with a dry cloth. This is supposed to make it easier to erase your chalkboard. Mine had been erasing wonderfully!! Here is a picture before I wiped off the chalk.

Before I show you the finished picture of the chalkboard I want to share another little project with you.

My New Stool

I spotted this old, ugly, stinky stool at my Dad's shop, and my Dad said I could have it!! I was so happy because my head already had a lot of thoughts about what I could do with this stool!!


First of all, I wanted to get rid of that awful trim that was hanging from the top.



A lot better!!


Next, I sanded and cleaned all the rust off of the legs. Then I spray painted the legs black with a metal spray paint. It took 2 coats. Instant transformation!!

Lastly I bought a yard of material at Joann's for $5. I cut it to fit the seat of the stool. My wonderful hubby brought in our air compressor, which has a staple gun. Let's just say once he taught me how to use that thing, I fell in love!! I applied the new fabric directly over the old fabric. So I didn't need to re-cushion the chair. This was very easy to do!



A hundred staples later....


I was able to find the perfect place for my two projects!!

Later this week I will show you what I did with the remaining fabric from the stool.



Today I feel so blessed to have a hubby who doesn't hold me back from attempting a little bit of everything when it comes to my home!!

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special




13 comments:

Julianne Hendrickson said...

Lori, you have inspired me!! How awesome! I love the chalkboard..I am on the hunt for something to turn into a chalkboard for my big wall. You did fantastic!

Jamie said...

Cute, cute, cute!! You did a great job :)

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

So cute....love the look...Happy Saturday.....Enjoyed your post....
Hope you will stop by my place....Tonight I am drawing for three great giveaways.

Teresa
http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

The Brownd Family said...

SO SO SO CUTE!!! Have a great weekend Lori! SO CUTE!!

Anonymous said...

How cute! I love the stool. I need something like that for my classroom.

Anonymous said...

love them both! So cute!

Marla said...

You are so crafty! I love them both, but I think I love the chalkboard better!

Brittany said...

You are so creative!! Looks fabulous!

Maggie said...

Love this! You're inspiring me to be crafty!

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

I just love all your projects! They both turned out great!

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

You did a great job, you are so creative!!! Thanks for following me too!
Bonnie

Lianna Knight said...

I love them BOTH!! I have been wanting to try out the chalkboard paint myself... I think you just inspired me to get moving!!! Be looking for a new project from me using the chalkboard paint soon!

nichole said...

lovin' those projects, lori! they turned out great!
i've been wanting to try that chalkboard paint for some time now...now I think need to! thanks for the inspiration! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails