Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, January 21, 2011

Contractions and more!!!

I will start at the beginning as to how we ended up at the Hospital for 24 hours.

On Sunday I noticed that I was bleeding again, and I was thinking it was probably from my polyp that had grown near the opening of my cervix since my pregnancy. The bleeding stayed till Monday morning. It had started kind of heavy on Sunday afternoon then went to spotting by later that evening and into Monday morning. After Monday it had all cleared up, so that kind of reassured me that it was the polyp. I did not call my Dr. I don't think this had too much to do with how we ended up at the hospital.

I have had a few contractions in the past, but was never really worried about them. I think half the time I wasn't even sure if it was a contraction, I just thought it was the baby balling up inside. Well I was slightly wrong. LOL! I've never been pregnant before, so I had no idea what a contraction really felt like! Which I am guessing most of those were Braxton Hicks.

So on Wednesday I was at work. I started to feel pretty awful, faint and nauseated. So I laid down for about a half hour, all the while I was getting cramping and contractions but not really paying attention to them. They were not that painful. Once I got up, I realized I had started spotting again, and the contractions started to get harder and more frequent, and the cramping increased in strength.

That made me decide to call my Doctor. They advised me to go to the Hospital right away and check into Labor and Delivery for them to monitor me. I was basically expecting for them to tell me that they are just Braxton Hicks, and the bleeding was from the polyp. We checked in right around 1:15pm on Wednesday January the 19th. My hubby asked me before we left if we should pack a bag and I thought no that's not necessary. I shoulda packed one!

So once we got into our room, I changed and they hooked me up to the monitors. One was to monitor Savannah, and the other was to monitor the contractions. Savannah was doing excellent! I was so happy to hear that! The contractions were not that great! They were about 2-3 minutes apart, and I could basically feel every one of them. They never stayed strong enough for me to need pain medication though. The Doctor on call came in (I loved her) and we went over a few things, so she checked my cervix, and checked to make sure the polyp was causing the bleeding. My cervix was closed, and yes the bleeding was coming from the polyp, which measured around 2 centimeters. So that was good news for us. They wanted to keep monitoring me and the baby for a while longer. We were all expecting that we could go home later that night.

Well, the contractions and cramping just keep being persistent. So the Doctor comes in and says we will be staying the night. They wanted me to take a pill to stop the contractions, as well as a shot for the baby's lungs. I was very hesitant about that one. They said that at 34 weeks they would not even try to stop the labor, or give the shot for baby's lung development. I was 33 weeks and 2 days! UGH! So close. Another thing was that my Hospital will not deliver until 35 weeks, unless it's an emergency of course. Due to the fact that they would need to send the baby to larger Hospital right away, then the Mommy is left behind. I then started to think, wow, could we really have Savannah now!

I then asked the Doctor if she was still breech. She brought in an ultrasound machine, and we were able to see Savannah. She was doing so great, lots of fluid around her and even practicing her breathing! The Doctor was very impressed with that. It turns out that she is transverse (sideways). So if I would go, it would be a c-section. All the while fear is creeping in to this mommy to be!

So hubby went home and packed up a little bag for us.

My contractions were staying about the same.

The worst part of the whole stay was when they put in the IV. Talk about pain!!! It was horrid. That is the one thing that I am already dreading when I go back in!! (Even worse was taking it out.)

Around midnight I took another dose of the pill to stop the contractions. I was able to get about 2 hours of sleep after that. I woke up to very bad back pain, cramping, contractions and an AWFUL headache. The back pain was so awful, it started at the bottom and crept its way up. The contractions were the strongest at this point. I still did not need any pain medication for them, they were manageable. The Doctor came in to check the cervix (she had done that a few times earlier in the stay too that I did not mention), the cervix was still closed. My awful headache was caused by the pills that were supposed to stop the contractions. I then got about 2 more hours of sleep, after the back pain dyed down a little.

In the morning I refused to take another dose of the pill to stop the contractions. The headache was just too awful, and I kept thinking I am sooo close to 34 weeks.

Then it was shift change for the nurses, and let me tell you I got quite the mean nurse! It's so amazing how a good nurse can make everything seem calm, then as soon as a mean one comes everything seems so awful! I was not very happy with her! I pray that I will not have her when I am having Savannah!

My contractions then started to go away in the morning!!! And my cervix was still closed! All was looking good! We were then released around 1pm on Thursday! We were given instructions on what to watch for, and when to come back in. We got home and we were so exhausted! The beds were sooo uncomfortable, you would think they would make them a lot more comfortable with all that we need to go through when we are there!

My contractions were still gone!

I got a lot of rest since I got home, and was contraction free until about 2 hours ago. I have been feeling some contractions again. So lets hope they do not get worse! We want to make it to at least 35 weeks, so Savannah will be a lot more ready to enter this world, and so we could deliver at the Hospital where we are comfortable at!

If you have any questions please ask! I would love to answer them for you! I would also love to hear any stories similar to mine, and how your story ended up!

I really want to do a post soon on the fear I have about Labor and mostly delivery!!

15 comments:

Leza said...

Oh, Lori. I'm so glad you didn't have her already. I saw the title "contractions" and didn't finish reading the "and more..." part I just clicked and said a prayer that everything was ok. I'm glad little one is doing great and you are not dialated. I hope your current contractions go away so you don't have to go back, deal with mean nurses, and deliver early. Prayers are definately going up that you make it to 35+ weeks!

Also, we need to chat sometime. I'm on my first cycle of clomid and OMG of course I'm convinced every feeling is a symptom. I hate the waiting period. Anyway, I'm praying for you!

Keep us updated and STAY IN THERE SAVANNAH!

Michelle said...

Thank goodness everything is okay. How horrible you had to deal with this! I will be praying for Baby Savannah to stay safe and sound for a few more weeks!

Take it easy!! Thinking of you!!
xoxoxo

Brittany said...

Praying Savannah cooks for a little while longer!!

GiGi said...

Oh my. Praying you make it a bit longer!! Sorry you were so uncomfortable in the hospital but it sounds about right. Sometimes rest in the last thing you get while you are there.
I hate IV's too and dread them EVERY time I go into L and D. But in SC the hospitals are GREAT. They give you a small shot of Novocain in the spot where they are going to give the iv and voila ... painless!!! Its sooo awesome!!

Its normal to be scared before l and delivery. I STILL get scared before every single birth.. then after I feel silly and sure enough, when I go to deliver again im in tears... LOL.

I promise you... you will be FINE and its soooooo worth holding that precious new baby.

Keep us posted.

Xoxo
GapGirl

Ashley said...

Oh you poor thing! I bet that was stressful. Hopefully Miss Savannah can stay in a little bit longer ;)

Unknown said...

I am so glad everyone is okay!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to mention I had pre-term labor with my daughter at around 33 weeks, was put on modified bedrest until 36 weeks, and she stayed put until 37 weeks 5days, despite a lot of ctx! I was never dilating, just softening and having regular ctx. They said it was an "irritable uterus" :) Just drink a lot of water and rest, rest, rest! :) Praying for you, and am so excited to meet your baby girl (but not for a little longer!) God bless!

Nick and Kristi said...

Oh boy girl your trip to L&D was a lot more intense than mine...Glad that everything worked out OK and that you and baby girl are back home...Keep baking her a little longer:) How horrible it would have been to have had her and then be seperated from her:( Since I am high risk I have to go to a hospital that has a level 3 nursery just in case he would come early...Well get plenty of rest this weekend and take it easy!!!

Anonymous said...

So glad you are doing better. I hear you on the IV thing.....I have had 3 children and in every pregnancy I feared the IV more than the epidural and labor itself. I hate IV's! I am praying that you make it a few more weeks so that sweet little girl can be with you at every second of every minute of the day and not at another hospital!

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

Praying for you and your sweet baby girl! I pray that God allows her to keep "baking" for several more weeks!

Jamie said...

Oh gosh! I know that must have been scary :( I'm glad you're doing okay!

Marcy said...

I had preterm labor with my daughter at 19 weeks, put on bed rest and 17p weekly injections and a pill every four hours (nasty headache was not pleasant), cervix dilated to 3cm, 80% by 29 weeks, steriod shots received, baby girl came at 33 weeks and stayed in the NICU for a month... Praying your Savannah stays put until 36 weeks.

Lisa said...

I'm glad you are doing much better! I pray Savannah stays put a little while longer. :)
What is your birth plan? Are you having an epidural or pain meds? I did have an epidural, and I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet and calm L&D was. I've seen so many videos of drug free births, but my experience was very pleasant, even though I pushed for 2 1/2 hours! I realize it's a personal decision/preference, but I will definitely have an epidural next time.

Leza said...

I am praying you are still at home with a baby inside. I've been thinking about you and praying for you!

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear you were sent home with baby still in your belly! I started having contractions at 28 weeks,was put on medication for the contractions, and was on bed rest. I was given the steriod shots two days before Brayden was born and I'm really glad that I did. Hoping you won't need the shots, but if you do we were told the only negative side effect was it lowered my immune system. So much more important for the baby's lungs to be more developed. Praying for you and that you can make it a little while longer!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails