Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Our Infertility Consultation Recap

I am happy to report that our consultation went very well yesterday. I was so nervous, and I think I was just so excited that we are actually, finally seeing a specialist! Its been 3 and a half years, and it felt so good to see a Doctor that is very confident, very professional, very caring and very smart. I was so thrilled with our Doctor.

First of all we met with our Doctor in his office, not an exam room! I was lovin' that. It felt so nice to just talk to him and not feel stressed with being in an exam room. We were just sitting back and sharing as much information with him as we could. He was able to put together more pieces to our IF puzzle, so that he could treat us better!

I asked him if he would say I have PCOS. He said PCOS has such a broad range of symptoms that a lot of people fall into the PCOS category, so he said he would call my problem"traumatic anovulation." Basically I do not ovulate, not even with the couple of rounds of Clomid that I took a year ago. So he wants to do some blood work to see if there is something in the way of the Clomid not working. After I get the results from the blood work, we will need to have made our decision if we want to start Clomid this cycle. I have a very irregular cycle, so I will need to take Provera to start my cycle ASAP. He said he doesn't like to have a woman go longer than 2 months without a cycle, because the uterine lining will build up too much. I am right around the 2 month mark, so it could work our perfectly. I am going in tomorrow for my blood work, with the results coming next week. If everything comes back "good" we will probably take Provera to start my cycle, then take Clomid! He wants to give me stronger doses of Clomid, the strongest I took last time was 150mg, he wants to try 200-250mg.

Then...

If Clomid would not work for us, we would look into Fertility shots. Which will be more expensive and more invasive, also there is a bigger chance of multiples with the shots. I was so impressed with how the Dr. was stressing that they do not take that lightly. They want to try every other option before they will try the shots on us, due to the risk of multiples. If we get to this point, we will need to think and pray about when we would want to start the shots. I am sure we would wait a while after the Clomid to start the shots. The Dr. also wants me to get an HSG done. I would like to get that done even before we start the Clomid. I would love to hear from anyone who has had an HSG done. Did you do it before Clomid, or did you wait until before a more invasive form of treatment?

After we went over all of that. He asked us if hubby had ever been checked, and he never was. So we were able to get that done right away, and the Dr. called tonight with the results!! I was so shocked that he called already, he told me that he will call on Friday. So I was super excited when hubby picked up that call!! I think that my hubby was surprised as well, after the Dr. told hubby the results hubby told the Dr. that I would like to talk to him. I thought that was so sweet of my hubby to do that, he knows how important this all is to me. So I took the phone, nervous with anticipation, the Dr. said the results were back and hubby is 100% perfect!! I was thrilled!! I always felt that he was, but was never sure, so now we are sure!! The Dr. was so nice, he asked me if I had done my blood work yet, and I told him tomorrow that will be done, he said that's great!! I was so thrilled that he asked about that, I really felt that he cared and wanted to get this process going. I was so excited about how quickly he gets things done, yet at the same time he told us not to feel pressured into anything they suggest. They just want to give us all of our options, and then they let us go from there, with no pressure!!

Also, at the appointment he did an ultrasound on me to check my cysts on my ovaries (again, I was so surprised how quickly he got things done). My right ovary has more cysts than my left. He was glad to see the cysts, because that reaffirmed him that I was not ovulating. He said that cysts are caused by anovulation, each month you do not ovulate, those eggs form cysts on your ovary. Then once you start to ovulate the cysts will disappear. I was so impressed with how much I learned from him in such a little amount of time.

So...

My main problem is that I do not ovulate.
Hubby checked out perfectly
Cannot wait to find out the results from my bloodworm
Our next step will be Clomid!!
I would really appreciate your prayers. Prayers specifically for a clear mind to make the right decisions, and for good blood work levels, and of course for the Clomid to work!!

I feel so blessed to have found a Doctor that we both liked and felt really comfortable with.


21 comments:

Alexis said...

Lori,
I am thrilled beyond words for you. I know first hand how it feels to have that weight lifted when you're finally comfortable with the one helping you in your journey to babies. It just makes the whole situation seem like so much less of a problem and so much more of an opportunity for the Lord to work. I am praying that the Lord will guide you through the next steps, that He will give wisdom, and especially that you will feel His presence beside you along every step of the journey.

And, in spirit, I hope you're feeling mine as well. :)

Much love to you, my friend.
Lexie

Anonymous said...

I am so glad the appointment went well. Your doctor sounds wonderful!!! Did you have to drive far to your doctor or is the office close by? Glad ur hubbys results came back great. Of course you know I had my HSG done before we did any type of meds or help so my vote is to have the HSG done as soon as you can. So glad everything went well!!! :)

Jamie said...

I'm glad you had a good appointment :) I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

A said...

Excellent! I would DEFINITELY get the HSG done before you start clomid- it is useless for clomid to kick your ovaries into gear if the eggie can't get down the tube!! Praying for you!

Elaine said...

Hey Lori,

I've been following you for a few months and wanted to throw in my 2-cents worth of advice. I would definitley recommend doing the HSG prior to the clomid. I've always heard it's sort of a "flushing" of your system to make sure your tubes are open, and that post-HSG many people get pregnant because their tubes are open and clear. However, with that said, I had an HSG and it was many months later that I finally fell pregnant (after 5 years of IF).

I also wanted to say that I am so thrilled that you are happy with your new RE. I have written posts in the past about how changing doctors--to a doctor who gave me back the hope I'd lost--I believe is what enabled me to get pregnant.

Good Luck! I'll be praying.

The Brownd Family said...

Lori! I am so glad that your appointment went so well and you liked your doctor! I will be keeping you and your hubby in my thoughts and prayers as you continue on with your journey! Have a great weekend!

The Pifer's said...

Your post really hit home to me…everything you said was deja-vu…when I first went to my RE and we went into his office I remember thinking how amazingly nice that was; not having to go into an exam room...it always scared me more when we were in the exam room...seems so personable when we were in an office...I've had two HSG's, one in 07' which discovered my right tube was blocked; I had LAP surgery in Dec. of 07' to fix that...I had my 2nd HSG in early 09' to confirm that my tubes were still unblocked; which they were.... the HSG is very important, they need to rule out that your tubes are not blocked in any way...not to mention they say you are extremly fertile for the 3 months after your HSG due to it 'lubeing' up your tubes.... as you can see that didn't work for me, either times, but it works for SO many people I know.... as far as clomid, I think I've done it all...the 50...100...150...200....250mg, (of course all with proper breaks between)....I am currently back on the 50mg cloimid with estrogen to help regulate me...you see I have the opposite problem as you have; my cycles are EXTREMLY short...I was having a cycle every 14-15 days...not cool! I would get off, have about a week of freedom and BAM there she was again...it was impossible for Zach and I to even attempt to try natrual which just killed me....so my options were to try Clomid and hope it spreads my cycles out or Birthcontrol...BC was OUT of the quesiton.

The shots work WONDERS; however like you said they are a bit pricy and invasive...but if you get to that point dont' be affraid b/c they really work great!

Have you ever taken provera before?? After taking the last pill you can expect your cycle anyday...be prepared everytime I took it in the past my cramps were insane; the thicker your lining the more you normally bleed and hurt....

I am praying for you sweetie, I am so excited to follow your journey!!!!!!!

Love-Hugs and Prayers

Melody said...

Im' so excited for you to get all of this done! I can't wait for the outcome. Every time I look at Kami's babies and remember what she went through I am always SO amazed that she now has 2 beautiful babies! I know that it can happen for you too! Love and prayers!

Julianne Hendrickson said...

I love good news!! Praying for you so hard through your clomid trial. Your doctor sounds very knowledgeable, which must be very comforting.

Marla said...

My HSG was done prior to any Clo.mid.

Sounds like you have a really great RE, who's got an awesome bedside manner, which is a rare find these days. Good for you! =)

Good luck!!!

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

So glad that you had a good appointment! I did 4 rounds of clomid before my doctor telling me I needed an HSG which I still haven't had since I have taken a year long break to lose weight.

Isn't it a breathe of fresh air knowing that you have a great doctor and that they care! I will praying for you and hoping that God will provide you with a baby soon!

Jennifer said...

glad you had a great appointment! I had an HSG also, after I had done several months of clomid. I'm not sure what the connection would be, but I agree with most people here that the better you have it, the sooner. I hate to tell you that my HSG was horrible, but my tubes were completely blocked so that made it really painful. I really hope your experience will be better, but I wish I had been warned ahead of time. good luck!!!

Meant to be a mom said...

I'm so glad the consult went well and the hubby is healthy and nothing is wrong there. Its great knowing that the doctor is figuring out what's going on with you so you can get prego.

I had a HSG done. It stung a little like bad cramps but honestly not that bad at all. Just go in aware that you'll feel some stinging crampy feelings for about 10 minutes. You can definitely handle it :)

I'm leaving you an award on my blog today :)

bride4life said...

This comment has nothing to do with this post....but I just posted some pics from my mini-kitchen remodel on my blog and since you just finished one...I thought you might be interested in looking?

Elaina Weaver said...

So glad your appointment went well and that you are so comfortable with your doctor. That is so important! Praying for you guys!

The Forsyths said...

I also agree with the Pifer's that your post brought me back to my very first RE appointment Sept 09' (seems so long ago but also not) and I sat in the office. I was thrilled at first because I thought he would tell me the problem and we would get it fixed. I remember crying at the end of that visit- realizing there wasn't a pill or magic bullet I could take. The following week, I had my HSG done because my RE wanted to do it when he was certain I was not ovulating. It was easy for me but I guess it depends on the person (it can be painful for some). Then before I knew it on CD3 I started Clomid (hello hot flashes!).
I was scared to start injectables when the Clomid did not work with the IUI's but my husband did all my injections with a kiss before every shot. My meds were covered for my IUI but now that we are moving on to IVF, it is not covered since anything related to IVF is not covered. Relieved I have 4 pens leftover from my 6 IUI's. Hopefully Clomid is all you will need but injectables aren't sooo scary after a while.
Its good to have an RE that you like and trust. My RE is the only one in town and I am glad he knows his stuff. The odd thing is for my IVF, it will be with a different RE at the Cleveland Clinic.
I know I hardly ever comment so when I do, its kinda long :D. I wish you all the best in this journey!

Brittany said...

I am so happy for your good news!! I will definitely be saying a prayer for you. It's so wonderful to have an amazing and supportive DR. I wish you all the best!

nichole said...

yeyy!! so happy your appointment went well, Lori! i also recommend getting the HSG done asap. I had that done last month & it helped show the Dr. (& me) what might be going on. You'll be glad you got it before you start the Clomid. Praying all works out wonderfully! :)

Anonymous said...

I am blessed to say that after 3 years of TTC and many procedures later, I am currently 32 weeks prego with my first son and it had everything to do with the right doctor the HSG before the Clomid. I had an HSG before any clomid in July 09, started the clomid and on the second cycle with clomid we got pregnant. I had one tube blocked and with the HSG it was able to unblock the small blockage for my eggs to get thru. It stung a bit but well worth it in the end, I have forgotten it almost completely. I have had a extensive battle for 10 years with endometriosis and on set of PCOS with no ovulation for the last 2 years.

So I say push for the HSG FIRST otherwise if you are blocked you will have taken clomid and it not be able to help.

I pray for you and your battle for a baby along with everyone else trying. My hubby and I thought it would never happen and had almost given up hope of naturally having a child but with trust in God he will give you the desires of your heart!!

Sarah said...

Hi! Just came across your blog from another one. Yay! For your first "big" appt. We have ours may 14th and Im excited to get some answers! :) As for the hsg, I had one done last year. And I had already done a round or two of clomid. Praying for you guys and looking forward to following your story :)

Anonymous said...

I have something for you over at my blog
CLICK HERE

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails