Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 12, 2013

How Infertility Still Affects Me

Four painful years of trying to conceive has brought many rough consequences for me.

Here are just a few...

 I treasure my daughter so much it hurts.

 I worry so much about her, that it makes me worry, I worry too much. In the back of my head I always worry that she will somehow just not be real anymore. She is the best part of me, my little helper, my friend, my child, my daughter, my Blessing, my miracle, my baby, my unbelievable gift that I thought I would never receive. When we finally got pregnant with her I had already mentally prepared myself that I will never have a biological child of my own. We had received a negative result on our last try to conceive at that time in our lives, only to be followed with a positive result a few days later. So as that positive result turned into a growing belly, then a newborn baby, now a toddler somehow, some days it still doesn't seem real to me. So why should I even want another one, when I have already been so Blessed by her?

I struggle with wanting to try to conceive again. Some concerns are that I look at trying to conceive as heartache, pain, emotional letdown, not the joyous experience that it is made to be.

Infertility has made me second guess wanting another child, I feel so BEYOND blessed with our daughter and that we were even given the opportunity to have her, that it has truly fulfilled my deepest longing as a Mother. There are a couple things that make me think differently, and that is a sibling for our daughter, and wow, another Blessing from above. Could I possibly be lucky enough to have another child of my own?

Infertility is lurking in the future. I am a Christian woman, I am a Child of the King. I am well aware of how miracles happen each and everyday. The Lord might have other plans for me when/if we start TTC again. Maybe we won't have infertility awaiting us, maybe it will be a joyous journey from START to finish, Realistically infertility awaits me. Pain awaits me. Heartache awaits me. Do I really want to take that gamble?

I look back and remember how infertility sadly ruled my life, my emotions, my marriage. Why would I ever want to welcome that back into my life, when I have the most precious little girl, and an amazing husband (with whom I am still trying to heal many hurts due to infertility) in my life...here...now. I want to live in the moment with them, I want to treasure each new word she says, I want to feel each kiss she gives me without the sting of another negative in the back of my mind. My husband needs me...ALL of me. My daughter needs me...ALL of me.

I am selfish. I am not ready to give away time that I spend with my daughter to another child. Will I ever be ready? Will I ever feel at peace with a decision? I feel like she need me so much at this time in her life. Will I ever feel like she doesn't?

It's been 2.5 years since I had to think about infertility on a daily basis, but each day since then it has affected me in some way. Sadly I wonder if I will ever be free from this awful thing called infertility.

11 comments:

Kendra said...

What a beautiful post Lori. Thanks for sharing your heart! You have a great attitude about appreciating the amazing miracle of your precious daughter. I totally understand you wanting to add a sibling for her - but being cautious to jump back in to the whole fertility boat again. I'll be praying for peace and direction!!!

Callie said...

Oh Lori, I know - it's scary to think about going through that again! It's hard not to let it consume everything. With trying to conceive last time though, I think it made me treasure all those moments with Wyatt even more - because even if I couldn't get pregnant again, I had him, you know? Praying for you, Friend!

Sarah said...

Wow you just read my mind...and then wrote (typed) it all down! I feel the same way! It's funny because my husband has been dropping "hints" on trying for another..and I find myself slightly excited at the thought of trying for a sibling for our daughter and then VERY much frightened at the chance of all those old IF feelings coming back....

Melissa said...

I totally know where your coming from. I felt the exact same way and then when my daughter turned 3 I was ready to try to give her a sibling which meant another round of IVF. I felt that if we didn't try we would always wonder...what if. so we gave it ago. IVF is easier when you have a child and not empty arms, I did not dwell on it like I did our first time. The plan was if IVF did not work we at least tried and would take our girl to Disney World and if it did work...awesome!

Well, it worked our first time and we got pregnant with twins.

You will know when your ready to try again. Like I said...took me 3 years to be ready.

MrsMiller07 said...

We have been dealt infertility and disappointments in family life in different ways but I truly know your heart and these fears and feelings! God's honest truth, it hurts, possibly worse the second time around if things don't work out because you know what you're missing but don't limit God and his unimaginable limitless power to bless! You will be in our prayers!

Alphabet Soup Momma said...

Lori - I am right there with you. In the next year we want to start trying for #2 and I have so much fear and anxiety. I wonder if this time it will take 3 years again. Sometimes I feel like I am frozen with fear. I just really have to clinge to the truths in the Bible and know that our Lord has it all under control.

GiGi said...

Lori,
So sorry to hear that you struggle with this. I can't imagine how hard it has been for you, and how freeing it was to not have to worry about it for a short time. Coming from someone that has not experienced fertility like yours ( so please forgive me if I don't write this as perfect as want) But I have known that a yearning for a child does not go away... it just gets stronger. SOmetimes we get distracted, but it comes back. You will never regret trying again... regardless of the outcome, because you know you gave it your all... but you will regret not trying at all. Its a painful decision and im praying for you my friend. I will tell you what I told my friend.." Don't let the fear of striking out stop you from playing the game." Love ya girl and so happy you have your beautiful Savannah...

Xoxo
GiGi

allison said...

I was touched by your post and had never thought about the pains someone who go through in this situation. I'm sure it's a very sore memory from your past, and we all those painful memories whether it's infertility or something totally unrelated. It's hard to risk it..because even though that would make you so happy if it worked out, risking the pain of it not working out is almost too much to bear. I get it...I won't date because it's too risky.

Tracy said...

Wow, this hits so close to home. Infertility is so painful! It is crazy to imagine going there again where I too have been so blessed for what we have gotten to experience these last few years.. I hope you are able to find peace in whichever you decide or The Lord sees fit, but I am so so glad you have your sweet Savannah.

Ashley said...

Like many people have already said, you read my mind. I have these exact same feelings every day. And I have every day since over a year ago when we started trying to grow our family. It doesn't get easier and in fact it's been harder than I thought it would be. I never thought it would take this long to have another baby. Maybe I was naive or kidding myself, but I guess I thought since we "knew what was wrong" it would be an "easy fix". LOL But I have never regretted trying. I know that one day when the time is right, that our family will grow. And even though it has taken over a year (and counting) I definitely don't regret waiting until we were sure that we were sure to try again. I wanted to wait a year and there have been moments were I have wanted to second guess myself. Like, this is taking longer than I thought, I wish we were have started sooner. But deep down, I don't wish that. I know it was the perfect time. So, it's ok to give yourself time. It's ok to be selfish of your time with your husband and your daughter. You'll know when the time is right. :) Praying for you!

praying across said...

My Sis-in-law is amazing!!! You and Kevin are such great parents.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails